Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

Among other things, we went to a few graves this weekend to pay our respects to some ancestors. It was actually really fun. I discovered that I actually really like cemeteries. I don't find them creepy or sad at all. I actually find them very interesting and and peaceful. I get a little sad when I see graves of little babies but other graves were quite cool. For example, we saw the grave of my dad's cousin who was murdered and left in an old rail yard. He was bludgeoned to death and they never found out who did it. Not all that pleasant - but really interesting to hear while you are standing there looking at his grave! Ok, maybe I'm just weird. Anyhow, the first picture is of my grandma next to the grave of her grandfather. He (John Fisher) was a pony express rider in the early days of Utah. He was a polygamist too, but we won't get into that now. This is the grandma that just turned 100 - - - she looks pretty good considering she's more than three times as old as most of us! She's a smartie too - she had all sorts of stories to tell us about all these dead people. And yes, she really is only that much taller that Clark. She's the tiniest adult I've seen in a long time.


This picture is of Jesse and our kids by the grave of Jesse's grandparents. I knew Jesse grandma for a little while and thought she was divine. She was so great. I really miss her - which is odd considering she isn't even my own grandmother. I never knew his grandpa - but I hear he was super too.


We went to the Salt Lake cemetery also - but I didn't take any pictures. It was the coolest of them all though. I saw the graves of John Taylor and Heber J Grant. How cool is that? I wanted to find a map and look around the place a lot more - but nobody else did and my kids were tired and hungry. So, that means I'll have to go back another time and explore a little on my own.

ps - did you notice - - Clark still won't look at the camera! I wonder if he's afraid it will steal his soul...........

1 comment:

Jill Petersen said...

What a nice way to spend memorial day. I don't know... I think cemetaries are a little weird but it would be cool to hear all about your ancestors. Especially from that cutest of all the cutest grandmas I have ever seen! Seriously! I love seeing 100 yr olds out in about. It amazes me!